If you’re looking for a classic dish to bring to your next potluck or family gathering, look no further than copper pennies.
This beloved carrot salad has been a staple of American cuisine for decades and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
In this article, we’ll provide you with a simple yet delicious copper pennies recipe that’s perfect for any occasion.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this tasty dish:
- 2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- In a large pot, cook the carrots until tender. Drain and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the green pepper, onion, tomato soup, vegetable oil, white vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the cooled carrots to the bowl and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve chilled.
- You can customize this recipe to your liking by adding or subtracting ingredients. Some variations include adding canned pineapple, using brown sugar instead of white sugar, or using apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep. You can make a large batch and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
- Copper pennies are a great side dish to serve with burgers, sandwiches, or any type of barbecue.
Copper pennies are a classic dish that’s been enjoyed by generations of Americans.
This simple and delicious carrot salad is perfect for any occasion and is sure to be a hit at your next potluck or family gathering.
With its sweet and tangy flavors, copper pennies are a refreshing addition to any meal.
Try out this recipe and see for yourself why it’s a favorite among so many.
- What is the origin of the name “copper pennies” for this dish?
The dish gets its name from the color and shape of the sliced carrots, which resemble small copper coins.
- Can I make copper pennies ahead of time?
Yes, copper pennies are perfect for meal prep. You can make a large batch and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
- How long does it take to make copper pennies?
The cooking time for the carrots is approximately 20 minutes, and the dish needs to be refrigerated overnight. So, in total, it takes about 24 hours to make copper pennies.
- Can I use canned carrots instead of fresh carrots?
While you can use canned carrots, the texture and flavor won’t be the same as fresh carrots. We recommend using fresh carrots for the best results.
- Can I add other vegetables to this dish?
Yes, you can customize this recipe to your liking by adding other vegetables like celery, radishes, or cucumbers. Just make sure to adjust the measurements of the other ingredients accordingly.