If you were a child in the 1990s, there’s a good chance you remember Ecto Cooler, a citrusy green drink that was first introduced by Hi-C in 1987 as a tie-in to the animated TV series “The Real Ghostbusters.”
The drink was discontinued in 2001, much to the dismay of fans, but the recipe lives on.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make your own Ecto Cooler at home, so you can relive those childhood memories whenever you want.
What Is Ecto Cooler?
Ecto Cooler was a citrus-flavored drink that was bright green in color.
It was made with high fructose corn syrup, natural and artificial flavorings, and various food dyes to give it its signature look.
The drink was originally created as a promotional tie-in for “The Real Ghostbusters” cartoon, but it quickly became popular on its own.
Why Make Your Own Ecto Cooler?
If you’re a fan of Ecto Cooler, you might be wondering why you would bother making your own when you can simply buy it at the store (assuming it’s available in your area).
There are actually several good reasons to make your own:
- It’s cheaper than buying it premade
- You can control the ingredients and make it as healthy (or unhealthy) as you want
- It’s a fun project that can be enjoyed with friends and family
Ingredients for Ecto Cooler
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make your own Ecto Cooler:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup tangerine juice (optional)
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
How to Make Ecto Cooler
Follow these steps to make your own Ecto Cooler:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large pitcher, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, tangerine juice (if using), and food coloring. Stir until well combined.
- Add the cooled sugar syrup to the pitcher and stir to combine.
- Chill the Ecto Cooler in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tips for Making the Perfect Ecto Cooler
- Use freshly squeezed juice for the best flavor
- Adjust the amount of sugar to your liking
- If you don’t have a juicer, you can use store-bought juice, but make sure it’s 100% juice with no added sugar or preservatives
- Be careful not to add too much food coloring, as it can stain clothes and surfaces
FAQs About Ecto Cooler Recipe
1. Can I make Ecto Cooler without food coloring?
Yes, you can omit the food coloring if you prefer. The drink won’t be as bright green, but it will still taste great.
2. How long does homemade Ecto Cooler last?
Homemade Ecto Cooler will last in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
3. Can I use bottled juice instead of freshly squeezed?
Yes, you can use bottled juice, but make sure it isn’t expired.