If you’re a fan of the popular Korean drama series “Squid Game”, you might be curious about the iconic cookie that features prominently in the show.
These crunchy honeycomb-patterned cookies are not only visually appealing, but also delicious.
Making the Squid Game cookie recipe is relatively easy and requires only a few ingredients.
In this article, we will provide a detailed guide on how to make this tasty treat, along with some tips and tricks to ensure that your cookies come out perfect every time.
Tips on How to Make the Best Squid Game Cookie Recipe
- Make sure to use a good quality honey or corn syrup for best results.
- Use a candy thermometer to ensure that the syrup is heated to the correct temperature. This is essential for achieving the right texture and consistency of the cookie.
- Be careful when working with hot syrup as it can cause burns. Handle it with care and avoid splatters by pouring it slowly and steadily.
- Use a silicone baking mat or parchment paper to prevent the cookies from sticking to the baking sheet.
- If you don’t have a cookie cutter with the squid pattern, you can make one yourself by cutting out the pattern on a piece of cardboard or paper and using it as a template to cut the cookies.
History of the Squid Game Cookie Recipe
The Squid Game cookie, also known as Dalgona, is a traditional Korean confection that has been around for many years.
Its origins can be traced back to the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), where it was often served during special occasions and festivals.
In recent years, it has gained popularity in Korea and other countries due to its appearance in the hit series “Squid Game”.
The show’s immense popularity has led to a surge in interest in the cookie, with many people now wanting to try making it at home.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey or corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (for dusting)
- Squid shaped cookie cutter (optional)
Best Squid Game Cookie Recipe
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large pot, combine the sugar, honey or corn syrup, and water. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, stop stirring and insert a candy thermometer into the mixture. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches 150°C (300°F).
- Remove the pot from the heat and quickly whisk in the baking soda and vegetable oil. The mixture will foam up and turn a light golden color.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes until it hardens.
- Dust the top of the hardened mixture with cornstarch and flip it over onto a clean surface.
- Use a squid-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. If you don’t have a squid-shaped cookie cutter, use a knife to cut the mixture into small squares or rectangles.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
How to Serve Squid Game Cookies
Squid Game cookies are best served as a snack or dessert. They can be enjoyed on their own, or paired with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
To make them even more festive, you can drizzle melted chocolate over them or sprinkle them with edible glitter.
FAQs about the Squid Game cookie recipe
Can I use different colors for the cookie shapes instead of the red and green from the show?
Absolutely! You can use any colors you like to create the shapes and designs for your cookies. Be creative and have fun!
Can I use different cookie cutters?
Yes, you can use any shape of cookie cutter you prefer. Just make sure that they are a similar size to the ones used in the recipe, so that they will cook evenly.
Can I use a different type of cookie dough for this recipe?
You can use any type of cookie dough you prefer. Just make sure it is firm enough to hold its shape when cut out with a cookie cutter.
Can I make the cookies in advance and decorate them later?
Yes, you can bake the cookies in advance and store them in an airtight container until you are ready to decorate them.
How long will the cookies last?
The cookies will last for several days in an airtight container at room temperature, but they are best enjoyed within the first 1-2 days.
Can I freeze the cookies?
Yes, you can freeze the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Allow them to thaw at room temperature before decorating and serving.
Can I use different types of icing or frosting?
Yes, you can use any type of icing or frosting you prefer. Just make sure it is thick enough to hold its shape when piped onto the cookies.